The Hema DeSilva Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
The birth of a premature or ill baby presents serious challenges for new parents. We’re here to help your baby and you through those earliest days.
The Saint Francis NICU is the home of compassionate, comprehensive, and leading-edge intensive care for your newborn. We maintain a warm, nurturing, and healing environment that supports each baby’s early development, and includes parents in every aspect of day-to-day care.
At the Saint Francis NICU, parents are key members of each baby’s health care team.
Our NICU team will work together with you to develop a plan of care for your baby. We’ll ask you to participate in daily medical and nursing rounds. And, of course, you’ll hold, cuddle, and, if you choose, breast feed your baby while you’re here, to promote bonding and restful sleep, and to keep you in close touch during those important early days.
We’ll help you to develop the confidence and skills you’ll need to care for your baby when it’s time to go home.
A Team of Neonatal Intensive Care Experts
Our NICU team is available for around-the-clock care, and includes
- Board Certified Neonatologists, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants
- Specially-trained Neonatal Nurses
- Breast-Feeding/Lactation Consultants
- Respiratory Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Social Worker
Our NICU is also supported by a dedicated housekeeping and secretarial staff.
- 24-hour medical care
- Diagnostic capabilities for complex medical problems and genetic disorders
- Respiratory services, including advanced respiratory support
- Nutritional support to promote healing and growth
- Lactation support and an electric breast pump loaner program
- Breast-feeding support groups
- Donor breast milk availability
- Access to consulting pediatric specialists
- Social Services for emotional and family support
- Spiritual Support
- Private family area
- Valet parking
- One-on-one discharge teaching
- Educational videos
- Video language services
- On-site car seat specialist